The euro ‘solution’ solves nothing

The highly touted deal to solidify Greece’s finances doesn’t look so good in the naked light of day. It’s short on details and long on optimistic assumptions.

50 stocks to buy in November

StockScouter, MSN Money’s stock-picking tool, identifies companies capable of outperforming the broader market in the weeks ahead.

Is Rhode Island the new Greece?

While the world fixates on Europe, some U.S. states and cities are finding they, too, are overextended and underfunded. Also: Once again, gold is no bubble.

Just how smart is Wall Street?

In the cold world of the Street, the ‘smart’ crowd preys upon the ‘dumb’ money. But professionals are prone to greed, overconfidence and a blind faith that it’s different this time.

We Aren’t As Rich As Our Government Spends

Responding to last Sunday’s column, many readers wrote to tell me that Occupy Wall Street was about a lot more than taxes.

It most certainly is. At its core it is about the imbalance of political power between the very rich and everyone else. It is about how those at the top of the food chain have used government to privatize gains and soci…

Tax law could make grandkids rich

Congress last year enacted temporary changes that allow for a massive estate-tax break through a Roth IRA. As a result, a grandchild could pocket millions, tax-free, over a lifetime.

Is it time to chase the rally?

You may be itching to get in, but tread carefully. Events over the next couple of weeks, including the apparent debt deal in Europe, will offer clues about the market’s direction.

The Texts They Are A-Changin’

How should the introductory economics text change in response the financial crisis, the recession and the very slow recovery? The question will be discussed at a big economics teachers’ conference in New Orleans this week. I will be there to give a talk on the issue by describing the just released 7th edition of my text with Akila Weerapana of Well…

4 scary economic stories

The doomsayers are out in force, and we do have plenty to worry about. But just how likely are double-dip demons and creepy credit collapses?

At half off, is Groupon a buy?

The site has scaled back its IPO in response to a weak stock market, executive exits and questions about its accounting and business model. But the debut may still be a tough sell.

How Will Retiring at 62 Effect Your Social Security Benefits?

Q. I am 62 years old, married and personally earn about $120,000 a year. I am retiring from my company this year, with a pension. Since my income will be greatly reduced now and until age 66, will my Social Security benefits be reduced due to my reduced income in the years between age 62 and 66? —HL, San Antonio

A. Your Social Security benefit…

6 sites transforming how you shop

It’s not always about brand extension. These 6 small websites are pointing consumers to new strategies for buying, selling and trading merchandise.

Dare to invest in the walking dead?

Consider these market zombies, companies that have basically been written off and now trade for less than the cash they have on hand. Yet some, like Hawaiian Airlines and Heelys, may have life left.

Time to give up on Greece?

A report from inside the euro crisis says saving Greece will cost much more and take much longer than expected. Politically, that’s not doable, making default likely.

Crunchtime for the eurozone

Europe remains stuck as it faces problems that only money printing will solve. And that ‘solution’ will only delay the day of reckoning.

How Much Can the 99% Squeeze Out of the 1%?

Allow me to introduce some real data into a popular sound bite: the bottom 99 percent versus the top 1 percent.
Everyone likes a tax paid by someone else. So it’s not surprising that 99 percent of us would rather the other 1 percent paid more taxes. Before proceeding, however, it might be useful to ask a few questions, like:

How much can …

A global bidding war for oil

As the costs of producing oil grow and the places to hunt for new reserves shrink, Big Oil is willing to pay more for oil and gas resources. Investors, take note.

What if we took down Wall Street?

The anger is intense, and the big banks deserve much of the blame for the economic mess we’re in. But the problems that bringing them down would cause are the last thing we need.